Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Dome

The dome itself is supposed to be made out of fiberglass. All the materials are readily available at Home Depot and aren't that expensive. While it doesn't look that difficult, I've never done it before and just don't feel comfortable experimenting with that on my own. Also, as I think I've mentioned before, I'm building this thing in my tiny studio apartment. There's just no way I could do that in here anyway.

So I needed an alternative material that didn't involve using toxic chemicals near where I sleep. I decided to give it a try with paper mache. I've had quite a bit of experience making large and ridiculous things out of paper mache, and have gotten pretty good at it. I was pretty confident that with enough layers, I could make the dome strong and smooth enough, and that it would at least work as a temporary solution until I work up the nerve (and have the space) to do a fiberglass version.

two copies of LA Weekly

a light coat of watered down spackling paste, and then sanded

a coat of Elmer's Wood Glue
a hole cut to run the eye stalk through









No comments:

Post a Comment