Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Blues Are Still (Dalek) Blue

I spent the last week painting the hemispheres for the skirt. They were clear plastic, so I thought I should start with a few coats of grey primer to get a solid, even surface for the final color. I ended up doing 3 coats with a foam brush to avoid bristle marks.


Next, the actual color. As I'm trying to recreate an original 60's Dalek, I decided to go with a light blue. I found a shade that looks pretty close to the color reference photos of the originals. I went with Behr's 550B-5 "Windjammer" blue from Home Depot. A 7.5oz sample size was plenty, with enough left over for the discs on the eye stalk.

I might give them a coat of clear gloss to shine them up a bit and make them look more metallic.




No comments:

Post a Comment