Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Brendan vs. The Feet-hole

Finally finished cutting out the hole in the lower part of the base. It was extra tricky because there's no easy way in with a hand saw. So I drilled holes around the edges and then hacked away at the smaller bits that were left until i could basically punch out the middle (and then sanded the edges).



Did I mention I'm making the bottom part of the base in 2 parts? I need the base to split for transportation reasons (and I suspect this will make it easier to get in and out of). But rather than use one REALLY thick piece of plywood or MDF for the bottom, I'm using 2 pieces  of 1/2" (well, a little over 1/2" - it's in millimeters, but i forget how many exactly... anyway) to make the bottom about 1" thick with the wheels and trim attached to the bottom layer, and the top layer split for attaching the rest of the skirt.

My big reasons for this:

 1. thinner pieces of wood to cut - remember, no power saw (I really should have just saved up for one of those)
 2. just seems like it would be more stable with the split
 3. if at some point I want to make the bigger MK2 base with larger wheels for outdoor use/invasion, I can just make that separately and pop the existing skirt on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment